[Terrapreta] FUELS AND VEHICLES: AN INTEGRATED SOLUTION

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Wed May 21 13:16:58 CDT 2008

Funny you should say that.

One of the local news stations did a study to see if it would be possable to ditch the car and take the bus, and reported on it last night.

Local price of fuel - $3.66 / gal
Local price of a bus ticket ( one way ) - $1.50

Going from the news station to the baseball stadium during evening rush hour cost $1.50, requires 2 transfers and 3 buses

A reporter and a photojournalist decided to take to trip one using his vehicle the other the bus from the same starting point leaving at the same time.

Time they both left the bus top near the station was 4:43 ( had the rider of the bus missed it, the next bus would not have been by until 5:54 ).

The time the driver took in the POV arrived at the stadium was 30 minutes, with the consumption of .64 gal of gas for a cost of $2.36 per person

The time it took the rider on the bus was 1:05 for the cost of $1.50 ( what we don't know is the average number of people on the busses or what kind of mileage they get, but it can be logically assumed that they don't get but more than about 8-10 mpg )

A difference of  $0.86 and 40 minutes.

At first glance this looks fairly good -

OTOH assuming they both stayed and watch a ballgame, the driver of the car, would have made the return trip in about 20 minutes and a corresponding decrease in fuel consumption due to lack of traffic, and the rider of the bus would have had to either walk back or get a taxi, because the busses don't run that late.    We also don't know how many miles per gal / per person the busses get, yet I know for a fact that on many routes they run almost empty except during the busiest times of day. - I also know that this is true of many types of mass transit in many cities across the US.

Riders on the bus, that used the bus to get to and from work, told the photojournalist, that they have to leave home up to 1 hr earlier in the day to ensure that they get to work on time and about the same coming home in the evening - assuming they didn't miss the bus and that it was running on schedule.

Locally it doesn't matter where you are going, it's going to take at least twice as long to take the bus as it is in a POV, and that's assuming that you caught the right one and that they are running on schedule.

Last year there was a time when one of our vehicles was in the shop for work, and since I needed the only other one we had for the kids, my wife tried to take the bus.    It worked out that she needed 2 hrs in the morning and 2 hrs in the evening to go and from work, which was only 15-20 min away in a POV.

Now if your time is worth $1 an hour ( or less ) - then the bus would make perfect sense, from a fuel, time and cost efficiency stand point.

If your time is worth more than $1 / hr, the total efficiency is with the personal automobile.

In the end, it all comes down to the fact that different places have different transportation systems and each has to be evaluated on it's own merits, and don't forget that while it varies with each bus, unless each bus is running proximity 1/2 full, then it is getting poorer mileage than someone driving an old pickup.

The entire idea that mass transit is a cure all answer for all places and all individuals, is phony.

Greg H.