[Terrapreta] Amazon cattle ranging

MFH mfh01 at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 21 17:05:03 CDT 2008

Lou

Maybe I'm not explaining this well. "Selective logging" is the term used by
tropical logging companies in an attempt to whitewash what they do, as
opposed to the term "clear felling", which raises almost universal disdain.
"See we're not destructive at all - we practice selective logging as opposed
to clear felling and that means the forest will recover. We're really the
good guys". All smoke and mirrors stuff.

This can be taken further by the use of large helicopters for "enhanced
selective logging". Chainsaw crews walk in, select 'suitable' trees, fell
and dock, and the chopper takes out the logs. The downside is that because
of the high cost of the chopper operation only the best and rarest trees are
taken - like rosewood and ebony, and only the largest. So the "seed" trees
go and the diversity goes.

This is very different to the way the term is used in projects such as you
cite. The Menominee example proves that forest stewardship and management
can provide continuous income together with not only maintaining the forest
but enhancing it. If my memory is correct there were members of this
community at a conference at the UBC in Vancouver in 1996.

There are many examples in Europe, for example Finland, where woodlots have
been sustainably managed and harvested by families for many generations.

Hope that this clears up my use of the terminology,

Max

  _____