[Terrapreta] Amazon cattle ranging

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Wed May 21 18:37:34 CDT 2008

Hey Folke,

Let's keep it vigorous. There are good learnings going on.

Nope, not even a hint of Jesuit in my background.

I checked into the Sahara and the latest models do agree with you that the
abrupt climate changes did not seem to be associated with human use.

However, human deforestation does seem to be associated with the EXPANSION
of areas of desert and drought.
http://www.unu.edu/unupress/unupbooks/uu17ee/uu17ee06.htm

In regard to the Amazon. First, I very much agree that it is a huge system
and that it is really hard to judge on-the-ground where there can indeed be
local areas of deforestation coupled with periods of more rain, etc. But,
I'm also very impressed with the climate modeling that says that the
regional rainfall patterns are very much created by forest transpiration.
This is what has the climate modelers freaked out about a possible tipping
point. I get a lot of this by being a general follower of Nepstad's
thinking.

Do you disagree with the assertion that the expansion of drought and fire in
the Eastern Amazon is being intensified by deforestation? Do you disagree
that this is like to alter regional weather patterns? And have global
consequences? If yes, please say why.

I think that we probably have very different "takes" on what the Indios de
Terra Preta story might mean. You seem to want to project back into the past
from contemporary Indian agricultural practices. On the other hand, I want
to see the possibility that there was a civilization that lived in balance
(through terra preta soil technologies) but was unable to pass the
information forward because of the catastrophic die-off following invasion
of exotic diseases and a devolution of the survivors toward nomadic
hunter-gether ways. Unfortunately, neither of us can actually prove whether
the present came from the past or if something different once existed. But,
I do want to believe that the human race is not intrinsically destructive of
nature and that harmony between large populations and the forest can be
established. I think that we share that hope.

Nope, I'm not an academic or a researcher or a farmer or a rancher or a
long-time resident of Amazonia. I'm a storyteller about the relationship of
people and nature. These two blog posts tell a bit of my background and my
perceptions as a newcomer to the Amazon:

http://lougold.blogspot.com/2007/11/soy-in-amazon-pat-roberts-writing-in_06.html

http://lougold.blogspot.com/2007/08/expoacre-few-nights-ago-i-went-to-rodeo.html

Perhaps these posts will give a better picture of me and my prejudices.
Perhaps they will convince that I'm an ignorant gringo, or maybe they will
convince that there is a genuine search for a better way that we can share.

You ask if I ever worked with any forest-saving organizations? Well, I
founded this one: http://siskiyou.org/
and I worked with it for 20 years. AND, I also came to see the very real
limitations of the "classical wilderness defense." I understand that if it
truly is a war between man and nature that it is probably all over except
for picking up the pieces. In such a fight humans will conquer until a
correction occurs that will be most uncomfortable for all species that have
habituated to something like current conditions. In a sense, I'm convinced
that we we fall but I also hope that we might fall more on a pillow than on
a rock. That's one of the many reasons that I am in Brazil and on this forum
and being open to thinking of our common world in new and different ways.

OK, that's my best shot.

Touch the earth and blessed be.

lou

http://lougold.blogspot.com