[Terrapreta] A context for Folke and All.

Biopact biopact at biopact.com
Thu May 22 03:07:16 CDT 2008

Lou,
I think most of us agree with you. But in the end, it's all a matter of rock-bottom basic economics, practicability and policy support.

-Are the commercial advantages of biochar really a strong enough economic incentive to prevent deforestation? (I'm not sure yet)
-And can these advantages be expressed straightforwardly in monetary terms and via working markets? (Not sure yet, these carbon markets don't recognize biochar yet)
-And is the practicability of the biochar concept strong enough (logging and burning down a forst is pretty easy; putting some cattle on pasture is easy too; producing biochar on an industrial scale may require a bit more infrastructure).

I suggest we take a look into the many studies on AD and REDD; they contain the data we're looking for, since these concepts deal with exactly the same problem.

Cheers, Lorenzo (aka Lou)