[Terrapreta] No till farming

Max Turunen maxturunen at gmail.com
Fri May 23 09:55:51 CDT 2008

Hmm.... I do not know much, but would like to know further about the
following points in zero tillage that above criticism did not address...

1. If one is not hauling heavy tilling equipment in the farming field....
why at all would one drive such heavy soil packing equipment there ?
Why bother packing the soil, when lighter equipments and processes are
essential ? Such lighter equipment and/or methods thus likely need to be
calculated into the zero tillage plans from the start.

2. Mycelial farming. The careful and adapting application of *local*
strains of symbiotic mycelias into the whole field of zero till farming...
should... and does... that not help retain moisture ? keep the soil ecology
more viable, while organizing nutrients, minerals and all forms of materials
around the different plants, organisms and layers of the soil ? I have
*read* and *heard* some encouraging experiences in this direction from some
decades of pioneering fields... but what is the practice of this ? What can
it achieve in soil and crop yields when properly applied.... and what does
that proper applying require in practice ? If local species and strains of
mycelia, or several, are applied... what are the other indirect effects
observed ?

MaxT