[Terrapreta] Fwd: pulverizing charcoal--Hosting microbes

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Fri May 23 23:18:19 CDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Bailes <michaelangelica at gmail.com>
Date: 2008/5/22
Subject: Re: [Terrapreta] pulverizing charcoal--Hosting microbes
To: MFH <mfh01 at bigpond.net.au>

b)       Activated char has different properties to standard char and we
> mustn't confuse the two when looking for results in the soil

The opposite is the case. Activated char pops like popcorn creating more
surface area and adsorbacy. It  is produced at a higher temperatures so has
less bio-oils.

>  If it's abrasive enough to keep worm levels down, what makes you think
> that the worms can make big pieces small?
>

> Are we anthropomorphising here?
I am sure many soils have rough abrasive textures and still contain many
worms.
 I would think the limiting factor would be organic matter not texture.

--
Michael the Archangel
"Politicians will never solve The Problem;