[Terrapreta] Catching Carbon

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun May 25 15:09:46 CDT 2008

Hi Kurt,

This idea of making diesel fuel from oil in algae is not be as experimental as you might think.  See http://www.sartec.com/<http://www.sartec.com/>

  From: Kurt Treutlein<mailto:rukurt at westnet.com.au>
  To: Undisclosed-recipients:<mailto:Undisclosed-recipients:>
  Cc: terra preta<mailto:Terrapreta at bioenergylists.org>
  Sent: Sunday, May 25, 2008 2:28 PM
  Subject: Re: [Terrapreta] Catching Carbon

  lou gold wrote:

  >  It triggered a question: if such a technology were to become
  >  feasible, might it be possible somehow to convert the scrubbed CO2 to
  >  char for soil rather than deep-burying it in the ground?
  >
  >  I would prefer to stay away from the valid ethical question of using
  >  ANY more fossil fuels unless one is prepared to offer a realistic
  >  alternative fuel resource for economic development in China and
  >  India.
  >
  >  thanks,  lou

  I think it is highly unlikely that any process but photosynth would do
  this economically. We use carbon and heat to extract metals from ore, to
  extract H2 from water and so on. This works because C is a highly
  effective O2 grabber. All these processes end up with CO2 as the end
  product.

  So photosynthesis will do the job. There is a whole mob trying to grow
  algae, which does the photosynthesis job quite effectively. Their main
  idea is to produce veg oil to run diesels. Many of them are proposing
  their processes to scrub CO2 from powerstation exhaust gases. The
  resultant algae are biomass and after drying could quite easily be
  pyrolysed to provide char, which could possibly be used for TP, or
  perhaps fed back into the powerstation. The algae ponds would thus
  become giant solar collectors, with the powerstation merely converting
  the biomass energy into electricity. The process is still highly
  experimental.

  Kurt