[Terrapreta] why is carbon black?

David Yarrow dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
Mon May 26 16:14:59 CDT 2008

i am always amused when affirmations of truth come from unexpected, often
from "the other side."

so, i bought a solo backpack syrayer so i can carry around a reasonable
supply of liquid sea minerals, seaweed, EM, and compost tea solutions to
spray on soil, vegetation, piles of biomass, and tree trunks.  i will devote
most of this year to spraying my 1.3 acres, but i'd like to visit a few
champion trees and old growth forests for special treatments.  and every
batch of fresh biochar will get sprayed and steam-treated.

anyway, i'm reading several pages of fine print instructions.  one section
describes procedures to rinse the tank after reach use, and the need for
special handling, disposal and training when using hazardous chemicals.
when using the backpack sprayer for herbicide, the instruction say that to
remove any residue of herbicide from the tank and pump, put a dilute
solution of activated charcoal dust in the tank, pump it through the
nozzzle, then let it sit in the tank, pump and hose for a minimum time.
then rinse with clean water.

so, charcoal is the remedy to soak up and remove any biotoxic oily residues
such as herbicides.

hmmm....  i wonder if we can do that in soils????????

where else?

what else can this black carbon do?

anyone want to spin black carbon into fiber?

for a green & peaceful planet,
David Yarrow
44 Gilligan Rd, E Greenbush, NY 12061
www.championtrees.org