[Terrapreta] What TP as carbon sequestration can do?

Lloyd Helferty lhelferty at sympatico.ca
Mon May 26 21:33:29 CDT 2008

I have to agree somewhat with Mr. Barry. I don't see much prospect of
humanity stopping the use of Fossil Fuels.  In fact, one of the biggest,
"scariest" issues for humanity at this juncture in history that is being
debated around the world is the issue of "Peak" Fossil Energy, or "Peak
Oil", which simply means that we cannot extract oil (and gas and coal) at
faster rates than we did the year before.  Essentially (around 2007) we
reached a Global peak (or maximum) rate of production of these energy
sources and from here on forward the rate of extraction is expected to
decline indefinitely due to real geological (and technological) constraints.
(The consequences may be primarily felt 'economically'...)
  Yes, it seems true that humans will likely never stop burning fossil
fuels, and it is true that we will very likely burn them for a long, long
time to come, but we will burn them at lower absolute rates as time goes by,
and it will become increasingly expensive to do so ~ although we will (and
are) seeing a re-emergence of the 'dirtier' fuels being used (i.e. Tar
Sands, Shale Oils and Coal) as times goes on -- but eventually there will
come a time when it will become prohibitively expensive to use fossil fuels
at all simply because we've burnt up all of the most easily accessible stuff
and the only 'reserves' that are left require more energy to pull out of the
ground than the energy they provide to us ~ and will be so expensive that it
would be cheaper to use solar cells, batteries and biodiesel.  At that
point, humanity will effectively stop using them (for fuel) except for
specific applications [mostly for flight], but of course by that point we
will likely have developed enough substitutes for what little we need that
we wouldn't even bother trying.  But then, given the much reduced energy
density of biomass (which is nowhere near the energy density of fossil oil),
we can expect to do a lot less energy intensity stuff, like flying, in 50
years. (I.e. Don't expect that the energy intensive lifestyles that we are
currently used to will continue to still exist for very much longer ~
except, perhaps, for the super rich. And with biological systems now at the
brink of collapse and in dire situation across much of the world, a reliance
on Biofuels as a substitute is almost foolish. But, perhaps with the massive
deployment of Biochar 'technology' and massive biological restoration we can
manage... who knows.)

Happy days! :-)

    Lloyd Helferty
    Thornhill