[Terrapreta] why is carbon black?

MFH mfh01 at bigpond.net.au
Tue May 27 06:39:15 CDT 2008

Kurt

Thanks - good sense and you answered the question. Char absorbs or adsorbs,
but the "nasties" remain. For how long, and how are they released, opens
another debate.

The bottom line appears to be that (at least) char doesn't neutralise
"toxins". Whether or not 10 months or 10 years or 1000 years changes this is
another puzzle. What happens when some char with these added toxins is added
to active soil? Where indeed to the toxins go - into your tummy?

Seems to me that in the headlong rush to major agri-business, the
bean-counters have dominated over the millenniums of farmer's knowledge.

I'll be forever reminded of the clear evidence in the Whagi Valley in PNG
that formal agriculture existed 10,000 years ago, some 4000 (not 40 or 400)
years before the so-called beginning of Ag in the Mediterranean Circle. And,
many include Papua New Guineans amongst the groups of "primitive people"

Maybe, primitive is taking your kids to pre-school in a Humvee?

There has always been some char. Is there, for example, any evidence of char
in the Egyptian tombs, and if so, has there been any chem analysis? The
Amazonians can't have been the only ones to have understood.

Maybe this stuff should be under the Off-Post banner, but we're approaching
some crises issues. Many have forgotten or not understood yesterday's
lessons. Char can help for tomorrow, but not in isolation.

It's not a panacea for the ills we've loaded on our planet home. It has huge
potential to aid, but we all need to look at a broader canvas. Char and it's
benefits are one segment of the solutions.

I suspect that some of us would like to get off this pollutive bus and live
tomorrow in splendid isolation. But there isn't any real escape from what
"we" have wrought other than try and fix it.