[Terrapreta] DOes charcoal absorb Glyphosphate?

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue May 27 08:17:24 CDT 2008

Hi Max,

You say:
However, charcoal is ineffective against metals, Na, K, alcohols, glycols, acids, and alkalis." Its use is also widespread amongst animal farmers.

There has of recent been discussion and concern on this list about whether Roundup (Glyphosphate) will be absorbed by charcoal and still remain effective.  I do not know the chemistry of this, but is it possible that your statement above relating to glycols may be an answer that NO Glyphosphate will not be absorbed by charcoal?   I don't know who could answer this really.  Maybe is just needs to be tested.  Should I pour some roundup onto soil containing charcoal and see if it will never grow anything ever again?  If you pour Roundup on bare soil it won't stop weed seeds from growing.  It has to be poured on the plant leaves themselves and it "wears out" its effectiveness over time.

Monsanto is a French company (US ,too), but it bring to mind a Michael Caine line in the Mike Myers movie ....   "There are two things I can't stand; intolerance for other cultures and the French! (Dutch)"