[Terrapreta] new address to the simple kiln

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue May 27 11:05:49 CDT 2008

Hi Phillip,

The heat from the top layer burning warms the wood below it releasing combustible and noncombustible gases which flow up into the charcoal layer. Glowingly hot charcoal has a wondrous ability to strip oxygen molecules from of anything that passes over it, so it converts the water into hydrogen, and the carbon dioxide into carbon monoxide. These two gases are flammable.

I think you better check what you say here.  I do not believe this is correct.  Hot charcoal does not strip oxygen atoms from water making Hydrogen gas-H2.  It also does not strip oxygen atoms from Carbon dioxide-CO2, making Carbon monoxide-CO.  Heated biomass in the absence of oxygen (or in low oxygen environments) decomposes the biomass into Carbon monoxide-CO and Hydrogen gas-H2.  If there is oxygen present, then combustion of those two fuel gases occurs, rendering complete combustion byproducts (CO2 and H2O).

A "water-shift" reaction can do what you are suggesting, I think (CO2 + H2O + heat => CO + H2 + O2 , but it requires intense energy input and high pressures in the form of very hot steam.  Pyrolysis of biomass is a dry reaction (low mositure content in the biomass feedstock) and with limited oxygen supply, is not catalyzed by water, and not capable of cracking water molecules.

Check this out with Tom Reed at the Biomass Energy Foundation.