[Terrapreta] FW: FW: Post Carbon York - Lloyd meet Paul, Paul meet Lloyd

Lloyd Helferty lhelferty at sympatico.ca
Tue May 27 20:35:25 CDT 2008

Dear list members,

    I have been in discussion with David Nixon, Sustainable Technology
Education Coordinator at the Kortright Centre in Vaughan along with another
gentleman by the name of Paul Brouse, who also lives in York Region, north
of the city of Toronto, about starting a new branch of the "Post Carbon
Institute" in a coordinated manner, primarily in order to bring awareness to
the issue amongst the general population.  The work of Post Carbon Toronto
has been fabulous in the past and I believe that it is time to get the outer
suburbs of Toronto involved in the discussion of how to facilitate
transition away from fossil energy.  After all, it is these areas (the
'burbs) where there people will likely feel most of the "negative effects"
of energy decline, and it is here where the lives of the
automobile-dependent residents are most in need of understanding the changes
that will likely be required to adapt to an energy constrained world -- and
it is also here where we may, given a mobilized public, be able to apply the
political leverage required that that can help move us toward the
transitions necessary to become more sustainable.

  As such, we are organizing a meeting of potential founding members next
Monday June 2nd, 2008 at 6:30pm in Vaughan at the Moose & Firkin Pub, at
7600 Weston Road, Unit 15 on the south side of Hwy 7 (west of 400, North of
407) and would like to invite any members of this group who may live in
(southern) York Region to come out to our founding meeting to discuss a way
forward for this group.  We would like to  and assign responsibilities such
as a Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary as well as potential Planning and
Organizing Committee members if possible (if we get enough people out).
Additionally, I would like to ask if you could pass this message along to
anyone you may know who lives in York Region and whom you believe may be
interested in assisting us in these efforts.

  Also, if anyone knows Ian Graham or Toban Black, who have been somewhat
active on the Post Carbon York Region website at
http://www.relocalize.net/groups/york, I would very much appreciate their
contact information.

Thank you kindly,
    Lloyd Helferty, Engineering Technologist
    Thornhill, ON
    905-707-8754
    647-886-8754

P.S. Please also try to RSVP for this event either directly by e-mail to
lhelferty at sympatico.ca or by giving me a call [leave a quick message is
necessary] so I might better estimate the amount of interest.

  _____