[Terrapreta] Old native earth ovens.

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 14:49:02 CDT 2008

Hi all

This appears to be a prevalent cooking method in the Americas.  It was surely  used everywhere else during the stone age were cooking pots were not an option.  These are perhaps unusual because of size.

The only thing that bothers me is that I am unaware of similar stone age sites as yet in the old world.  I am sure that the data is out there.

In any event, we have nothing to teach these boys about making biochar.  And it is an obvious and natural leap to the earthen kiln system used to this day in Cypress or the use of a deep pit process as used in Japan.

regards

arclein