[Terrapreta] Folke's retort kiln

bakaryjatta bakaryj at gamtel.gm
Wed May 28 15:48:32 CDT 2008

Dear list members,

It is with great regret I see nice simple things being discussed until
people get headaches (and more confused) All I see is that a retort without
a tight lid is put upside down in a larger drum which is used to contain
fuel surrounding the retort. There is no air entering the retort and no fire
inside, but if the contents are heated, volatile gasses escape at the
bottom. These gasses meet with the external fire and air entering through
the holes at the base of the larger drum. Once the fuel is lit and the
temperature of the stock to be charred is high enough to produce gas, no
further fuel is required to keep the process going. You may light the fuel
between the retort and the outer drum at the top and possibly also through
the air holes at the bottom of the outer drum. Refuelling can only been done
from the top until gas from the retort starts to escape to take over the
firing.

Very nice and handy for small batches. And usable for cooking using a wok.
As Gunther explained, a flat cooking surface would block the draft.

My 200 l drum retort is too big for cooking. Really, I would like to find
out how to control the process and store the extra gas for other purposes.

Someone told me once not to complicate subjects when talking to simple
folks. KISS, KISS ( Keep It Simple Stupid)

We have no choice in audience on internet, but if we want to influence large
numbers to become of active participants in applying TP for its many
benefits, perhaps the experts should try hard to introduce KISS KISS
technology and use KISS KISS communication. And a drum equals a bag of rice
in cost here. That's a big investment when many earn less than that per
month.

Kind regards,

Bakary Jatta