[Terrapreta] Locations of TP soils sites in the Amazon.

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Wed May 28 22:54:30 CDT 2008

Hi Kevin,

Yes, there is a map actually.  I'm sure there is a URL for this map available on the 'terrapretalist' site.  Tom Miles can probably show you the link to it.  Or, Lou Gold could, I think, too.  The map may not be entirely inclusive of all sites, either.  But it does show a large total area in many scattered sites.  Many of the sites identified as Terra Preta soils sites include copious amounts of fired clay chunks.  The existence of these chunks of fired clay (what some "pottery shards") in the soil with charcoal are one of the principle elements in the TP soils (along with fish bones and other extraordinary artifacts in the soil) which served to make the theory of anthropogenic development of these soils.

With charcoal, the fired clay chunks and other artifacts are found in some places to depths of up to two meters.  I do not know that all TP soils had fired clay.  There are also some sites containing lighter soils called Terra Mullata (or Terra Mulata, or Mulatta), which have less charcoal and also do not contain fired clay (I don't think so, anyways).  I thought that these sites, too, were determined to be man made in origin, because of their shape and proximity to other known TP sites.

I do not think Black Earth soils occur naturally in the Amazon River basin.  It rains far too much for that.  Any remaining soil organic matter is rapidly decomposed in the heat and moisture.  Almost all of the organic matter there in the Amazon is in the stands of plants on top of the soil.  The root systems of the plants are very shallow. The soils are almost sterile and they tend to be acidic and tight.  Doing any agriculture requires amendments into the soil.  Most soils are washed nearly daily by the rains and the nutrients and SOM are washed away into streams and the river, and/or the soils are heavily leached (nutrients drain down with water below the rhizosphere).   The soils are mostly clays; Aluminum oxides, Acrisols, Oxisols, Ferrasols, and Aridisols (<-Lord protect me from my critics, if I got any of those soil topological names wrong).

Typos are my damned fault ... and not my damned fault, Kurt!