[Terrapreta] Old native earth ovens.

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Thu May 29 01:20:38 CDT 2008

And back to John Flottvik's original posting about earth ovens in
British Columbia ' First Nations ' peoples that were used to cook
among other items Camas, a bulb of the lily family that was inedible
until its inulin starch was converted to fructose units by slow, long
cooking with acid hydrolysis by lichens added to the mix and flavored
and colored with leaves with recipes saved by families and tribes
reflecting their traditional knowledge. Yet when the potato came to
them with the spanish contact and sugar by commerce the need to work
for weeks digging camas and spending long periods as family units
making and preserving carbohydrate food for the cold winter famine
became no longer necessary and these skills were abandoned,

Sad but reinventing this terra preta is what is parallel to this
conversation.

Rich