[Terrapreta] Locations of TP soils sites in the Amazon.

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu May 29 08:33:17 CDT 2008

Dear Lou

lou gold wrote:
> No need to ask because the terra preta site has a marvelous search
> tool. I highly recommend it.
>
> http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/search/node/terra+preta+maps
>
> And the maps are great too!
Yes, it is a very good site. It led me to another very good site:

http://www.gerhardbechtold.com/TP/gbtp.php?vers=2

It is difficult to determine the extent of terra preta, and to determine
which "black earth deposits" have been determined as being "Terra
Preta", and which "black earth deposits" are not Terra Preta. More
specifically, which "Terra Preta Deposits" are man-made, and which are
natural Dark Earth soils cultivated by the natives?

It is interesting indeed that the title of Dr. Bechtold's Thesis is
"Thesis about Anthrohumox in Brazilian Lowland." One would expect to
find natural bogs and swamps in lowland areas, and accordingly, one
would expect to find "black earth soils" in these areas.

Here is an interesting question for you... under what circumstances does
a "cultivated soil" become a "man made soil"? There are places all over
the World where fertilizer, minerals, compost, nutrients, etc, have been
applied to soils for generations, centuries, and millenniums, yet these
soils are not termed "Man Made Soils".  If I simply add charcoal to
soil, does it become a "Man Made Soil"?

Best wishes,

Kevin