[Terrapreta] Folke's retort kiln

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu May 29 09:00:46 CDT 2008

Dear Folkefolke Günther wrote:

>     My 200 l drum retort is too big for cooking. Really, I would like
>     to find
>     out how to control the process and store the extra gas for other
>     purposes.
>
> *Perhaps it would help if you lead the gasses through a Fishcer
> -Tropsch catalyst
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer-Tropsch_process>? (Mainly
> consisting of iron fillings)*

The "Wonderful World of Charring" would be a much better place if we
could convert excess pyrolysis gas into liquids. I would guess that if
the FT Process was cost effective and easy to run on a small scale, that
it would be in widespread use. There is no question that the FT Process
works on a large scale, but is it inherently a process that is only
practical at a large scale? Specifically, for example, the process may
be complicated and critical, such that it must have a high degree of
instrumentation and control, such that the plant must inherently be
large to get the "economies of scale" necessary to support gas
pretreatment, gas conditioning, product refining, and instrumentation
people necessary to keep a FT plant operating properly.

Is there any reason to believe that the FT process can actually run
economically on a small scale?

Best wishes,

Kevin