[Terrapreta] a good story

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Fri May 30 08:38:16 CDT 2008

> a)       large trees have been felled to make the clearing, presumably
> without iron or steel

not necessarily. the forest is a mosaic of ages and species. you can create
clearings with felling large trees.

> b)       there's no visual evidence that this was followed by a large
> fire, at least not larger than the clearing

fire is not common in these region and it tends to enter the landscape only
after large-scale disturbance.

> c)       the figure in the background could be painted with a paste made
> from ground charcoal – there's not much in nature as black as char

i believe there are other sources of black dyes but char from cooking fires
would surely do.

> d)       there's no visual evidence of cooking fires and its likely that
> these are inside the huts

probably under the shelter to protect from regular heavy rain.

> All speculation of course. However if it was normal practice in the Amazon
> TP areas to have the cooking fire inside the hut, this makes it unlikely
> that such fires produced any significant amounts of char.

This region is quite distant (perhaps 700 miles) from the known TP sites.

http://lougold.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/visionshare/sets
http://youtube.com/my_videos