[Terrapreta] Farm/compost biochar

Dick Gallien dickgallien at gmail.com
Sat May 31 22:30:51 CDT 2008

Still looking for suggestions.  Kevin suggested I use this tank to char the
huge piles of brush, which I have refused to torch, as many compost? sites
do here.   It is a 30' X 10' dia. 1" thick, over 36,000 lbs. rail road tank
car, which I can top load with the old log truck.  A 11' dia. fuel tank is
hanging from the top of the rr tank, so the 6" can be filled with insulation
(any suggestions as to the cheapest, most effective high temp insulation?).
The lid would be air tight, I can make a 4' X 4' door at the base, so as to
unload with an extended bucket on the Bobcat and planned to funnel from
about 6' above the base, down to 4' dia.at the base.  How would you run this
as a retort? I could have a removable stove as the 4' X 4' door, but I don't
understand how the stove is exhausted and how the wood gas is returned to
combust in the stove.  At 76, I'm eager to get started, before the party is
over.  Kevin asked,  Why do you REALLY want to do this and I can only say it
would be for the inner satisfaction of seeing it work, making good use of
this usually wasted tree waste, giving others ideas and improving the soil
on this little farm. Please forward this to anyone else that might be
interested. Hope to hear from you.  Dick