[Terrapreta] Mr Charcoal

Jeff Davis jeff0124 at velocity.net
Tue Apr 3 16:20:16 CDT 2007

Hi Ron,

> 1.  Is that a used water heater?  Hard to take the top off?  Double wall
> with insulation?

Yes, it was a used NG hot water heater. Easy to remove top. Unscrew sheet
metal top. Tourch around flue and torch top off leaving about 1" lip. Yes
I kept the outer housing so it is double walled.

> 2.  Looks like you used a blower.  Have you tried natural draft with same
> geometry?

Yes, I use a blower. No I have not tried natural draft, this works good
and I have so little time.

> 3.  Would you recommend tipping the char out and then watering - or
> watering
> the char in place?

I water then tip out because this device get VERY HOT!!!!!!

Someday I'll design one with trip grates and bottom clean out. Plus I need
it to heat my buildings in the winter time plus make charcoal. That's a
must.

Best wishes,

Jeff

--
Jeff Davis

Some where 20 miles south of Lake Erie, USA