[Terrapreta] Backyard Biochar

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Fri Apr 6 19:37:29 CDT 2007

Doug,

Thanks for the soil photos. I have taken the liberty of putting them on the
Terra Preta website at:

http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/claytonepridaapr07

We do not allow photos on the terra preta list in order to prevent spam. I
do let some photos pass through after reviewing them.

The images of the improvement in soil structure after two years are very
helpful. They are great examples of the soil amendment benefits of charcoal.

The example of Peter's chicken litter tests is not a very good one. Chicken
litter is an excellent fertilizer. You can see that in the many studies that
my associate, Bert Bock, Phd., (http://www.brbock.com ) has done on the use
of litters and fertilizers as a fertilizer. Bert is a soil scientist who I
have worked with on a couple of animal waste to energy projects including
chicken litter. When you pyrolyze litter most of the nutrients like abundant
potassium and phosphorous stay with the char so it will make the charcoal
look very good. It will be interesting to see what results Peter gets when
he uses his char made from bark.

See: http://www.brbock.com/br_bock_links.html

Many thanks

Tom