[Terrapreta] Backyard Biochar

AJH LIST at sylva.icuklive.co.uk
Sat Apr 7 03:20:42 CDT 2007

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 17:37:29 -0700, Tom Miles wrote:

>The example of Peter's chicken litter tests is not a very good one. Chicken
>litter is an excellent fertilizer.

Are you saying that this example of charring chicken litter is not a
good example of how the biochar adds fertility to a soil because the
chicken litter was already a good fertiliser and could have been used
neat?

>chicken litter. When you pyrolyze litter most of the nutrients like abundant
>potassium and phosphorous stay with the char so it will make the charcoal
>look very good.

To my mind this is why a low temperature pyrolysis is a potentially
good treatment for this waste.

It sterilise's it
It de odourises it
It makes it inert