[Terrapreta] Charcoal Injector

rukurt at westnet.com.au rukurt at westnet.com.au
Tue Apr 10 23:10:48 CDT 2007

Hi folkes,

I think Tom's response highlights a problem, in this place and also in
others, the Oil from Algae one for instance. We are still at a "suck it
and see" stage with terrapreta in non tropical areas, and, truth to
tell, in todays tropics as well. We need some practical experience in
what happens if you add charcoal to any sort of soil. Then look at what
you get and theorise from that. Too much intellectual carrying on,
before any black stuff hits the soil, too much attempted fine tuning,
before we know what we are tuning, is not going to help a lot.  Whack it
on and see what happens.

I think the spike unit would work best, without disturbing the grass too
much, but Jeff is going to have heaps of fun coming up with a successful
suspension of fine dust charcoal in water. Boil it up with a whole lot
of cornflour to thicken it into a thin creamy soup? That'd also feed the
wee beasties a bit of  carbohydrate, which they might appreciate. Of
course, that *would* obscure the effect of the charcoal alone.

Kurt