[Terrapreta] Charcoal Injector

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Apr 10 23:10:12 CDT 2007

Hi Tom,

I don't know how to answer those questions.  I think these are the kinds of questions for why and what we would be doing as basic research on "charcoal as a soil additive".  We might possibly get some guidance from people like Christoph Steiner or Johannes Lehman or their associates at Cornell on the density of charcoal treatment in soil, with what other additives , and/or how to conduct any soil experiments.  They have some documented experience.

I know we will need experimental controls in untreated soil with otherwise identical treatments (added fertilizer, crops grown, watering regimen, etc.).  I also do not think that putting charcoal alone into soil is sufficient to make "Terra Preta".  There seems to be other things that go on, related to the soil microbiology to improve the soil fertility.  We may need to enlist the expertise of outside testing agencies to make some of our observations.  The raw biomass source material used, the temperature, the residence time, proximate analysis, i.e. process for making and the characterization of charcoal used are also parameters that require experimentation (for their effect on resulting soil qualities).  There may also be some sort of "incubation time" required.  That could be years or multiple growing seasons.

I think the best course to follow is for us to take on research tasks individually.  We should write proposals to this group about what we intend to do and how, etc.  Be frank and leave it open for review by others before acting on the plans.  Revise the plans if someone makes an important or useful suggestion.  Post the revised plans.  Do the experiments.  Take notes and pictures to make any observation of the results clear.  Post an experiment description, and observed results summary.  Be patient and diligent with reporting to the "team".  I think that if we cooperate we can achieve more.