[Terrapreta] Charcoal, Earthworms and Switchgrass

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Thu Apr 12 12:00:23 CDT 2007

Kurt-------If strong winds aren't a problem you could consider
leaving the charcoal on the soil's surface for two or more years so
that the annual rains and earthworms can transfer the nutrients and
critters. With this exception, you might consider: 1) mixing the
charcoal with sand and soaking the charcoal in a compost tea of local
garden weeds. A mixture of different species of weeds pull a variety
of nutrients from the soil. Terra Preta seems to be a process of
storing nutrients and some soil fauna on the charcoal's surface or in
the chambers of the hardwood charcoal or 2) make a mixed pile of
charcoal and weeds (minus serious invasives) or other green
vegetation letting the pile set awhile. Wet as necessary for the
plant cells to leach their contents to co-mingle with the charcoal
and then spread the pile with a manure spreader. You could add sand
if it helps the spreading. The latter suggestion might be easier. Ya
know, you might just wet the pile with a compost tea. Let your mind
wander as to...

Either with a soaking process or just spreading the dry crushed
charcoal on the ground (allowing the earthworms to internally carry
and impregnate the charcoal with critters)  your test squares your
results can be useful to the small farmers and gardeners on this
list. I see these test squares as suggesting where further research
is needed. I wonder if specific case points to the general case or if
the reverse is true.

I personally prefer using the earthworms. As a general reference, The
Earth Moved by Amy Stewart (ISBN 1-56512-337-9) writes about the
importance and movement of earthworms via human transport. We would
do well to care for earthworms in our fields.

You do have earthworms, don't you? Is a switchgrass field to dry for
earthworms?

Many thanks to the thoughtful comments on this list--------Larry