[Terrapreta] Charcoal, Earthworms and Switchgrass

rukurt at westnet.com.au rukurt at westnet.com.au
Thu Apr 12 16:20:25 CDT 2007

Hi Larry,

Yes, those all seem like reasonable ways of getting the stuff into the
soil, especially letting earthworms do the burying. That's a very
Permaculture way of doing things as well, their philosophy seems to be
"let something else do the work". Something I heartily agree with, even
though I'm only a peripheral Permaculturist.

Personally, I think a mixture of compost with a lot of charcoal would
probably be the best way, in a gardening context, though that might be a
little difficult on a broad-acre basis.

The query came from Jeff Davis by the way, I was suggesting experimental
ideas, which could be useful for preliminary experiments for any of us,
as we try to find out just what gives with terrapreta in other than
tropical soils.

Another possible way of preparing the charcoal for adding to the soil
might be to mix with a bit of clay and form it into little balls, by
agglomeration, a subject that Jeff is very familiar with from his work
with fireballs. The biggest problem with powdered charcoal seems to be
the messiness and easy transport on the wind. The idea of agglomerating
it into small balls (I visualise leadshot size) is also similar to the
seed covering ideas one finds in "The Onestraw Revolution" by Fukuofa.

regards

Kurt