[Terrapreta] Charcoal in Recycled Soil Mix

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Mon Apr 16 12:56:16 CDT 2007

Urban landscaping and agriculture are two great opportunities for terra
preta in the US but we haven't clearly identified the markets and uses yet.

A company in the Northeast (US) has developed a successful business making
recycled soil over that last few years. They grind stumps and land clearing
waste and screen it into various soil fractions. I think it is used mostly
for nurseries and  landscaping. They have a low cost source of charcoal
available to them. When I have approached them about developing a "terra
preta" mix they maintain that they wouldn't be able to sell it. They say the
buyers don't want anything "black" in the soil.

What blend of soil and charcoal should they make and how should they sell
it? What markets and uses should a terra preta mix have?

Tom Miles