[Terrapreta] char in soil test

John G. Flottvik jovick at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 16 14:03:30 CDT 2007

Tom & list.

Starting my Charcoal in soil test today the 16th day of April 2007 using JF BioCarbon soil enhancement product.

I will have 6 numbered pots 1 to 6. I will have six sets of 6 pots so I can plant six different samples.

Pot #1- Bought topsoil which contains, black earth; Sphagnum peat moss; Limestone. Brand name Lite Way.

Pot# 2- 50 % Lite Way & 50 % powder softwood charcoal

Pot # 3- 50 % Lite Way & 50 % JF BioCarbon soil enhancement

Pot # 4- 75 % Lite Way & 25 % JF BioCarbon

Pot # 5- 100 % real dirt from an old garden

Pot # 6- 50 % real garden dirt % 50 % JF BioEnergy product.

I will plant some vegetables, corn and plants to try for a wide array of results. I will also cover with clear plastic to keep unwanted rain water from drowning the project. Will hand water all pots equal.

Progress photos and comments will be shared with our list members. Please note that I am not a soil scientist, or a Gardner but will do the best I can and keep an accurate record of my experiment. To end, pots 5 & 6 will be of most interest as real dirt is used.

Regards

John Flottvik