[Terrapreta] John Cowan's comments

adkarve adkarve at pn2.vsnl.net.in
Wed Apr 18 19:41:14 CDT 2007

Dear John,
I am a hundred percent with you. Charcoal is a valuable fuel. A small quantity of charcoal added to the soil as an amendment would be acceptable, but making charcoal and burying it in the soil just as a means of carbon sequestration would not be acceptable. Growing forests is a better way of carbon sequestration. Charcoal is highly porous. It is my hunch that it not only offers extra surface for microbes to settle on, but also a place where they can survive in the dry season. I have also aired my view, that the microbes degraded soil minerals because they needed the mineral ions for their own metabolism. Plants learned the trick of feeding the microbes with organic matter, so that their numbers increased and they thus made more nutrients available to the plants.
Yours
Dr.A.D.Karve, President,
Appropriate Rural Technology Institute,
Pune, India.