[Terrapreta] Part II comments on John Cowan's "thoughts"

Michael J. Antal, Jr. mantal at hawaii.edu
Fri Apr 20 13:49:43 CDT 2007

Hi Ron: over 25 years ago at Princeton my student William Mok showed that
the pyrolytic reactions which offer high yields of charcoal release energy
(are exothermic).  His work was published in JAAP.  Nothing new about the
exothermicity in "magic coal".

You are right: our Flash Carbonization process takes minutes (not hours) and
realizes the theoretical yield of carbon from many feedstocks with no
catalysts.  Also, as a result of the findings of one of my recent graduate
students (Sam Wade), we can engineer a Flash Carbonization reactor so that
there is absolutely no danger of explosions.  This is why our State Boiler
Inspector has given us a permit to operate our Demonstration Reactor on
campus.

Finally I remark that the thermodynamics of chemical equilibrium demand the
formation of CO2 in addition to H2O during the pyrolytic formation of carbon
from biomass.  The claim being made by the "magic coal" workers that only
H2O is released is magic indeed!

Regards, Michael.