[Terrapreta] Soil Conductivity

rukurt at westnet.com.au rukurt at westnet.com.au
Thu Apr 19 00:33:16 CDT 2007

Jeff Davis wrote:
> Dear List,
>

> A few days ago, I was reading about protecting your generator system from
> lighting and the author mentioned soil that had charcoal in it. He said
> that this type of soil would have higher soil conductivity (electrical
> conductivity). So I thought I would post this to the list.
>
> Would higher soil conductivity have any benefit to plant growth?

Very difficult to know. There has been anecdotal evidence (??) of
electrical treatment of plants with various effects. It is possible that
electric fields of some kind exist and are affected by plant health and
that those can be sensed by other plants. There's that business of thorn
trees in Africa responding to giraffes browsing on their foliage and
becoming bitter tasting. Not just the tree being eaten, but all the
trees in the copse. Sending the giraffes elsewhere.
Do plants use electrical fields to detect areas of high nutrient
concentrations, thus giving them a direction to send their roots in.

 :) then there's the sci-fi story about plant communication "on the
grape vine" but that's highly ET :))

Kurt
remembering the carbon positive poles of earlier dry cells, which he
made into a microphone once