[Terrapreta] Greetings

adkarve adkarve at pn2.vsnl.net.in
Thu Apr 19 02:48:16 CDT 2007

Dear Juergen,
Do not apply compost to the soil.  On the one hand, agronomists tell us to
apply organic matter to the soil in order to feed  the soil micro-organisms,
but on the other hand, they ask us to compost the biomass before applying it
to the soil. The nutritional value of the biomass is lost in the process of
composting. Also, while recommending the dose of compost to be applied,
agronomists calculate it according to the N.P and K content of the compost
and not according to the nutritional calories in the compost. We found in
our experiments that non-composted green leaves, applied at the rate of 125
kg per ha, once every 2 to 3 months, gives as high yield from crops as
application of recommended doses of chemical fertilizers.  Even in the case
of dung, we found that relatively small quantities of dung are highly
effective, if the dung is applied in the raw and non-composted form.  Dung
consists partly of lignin (which can be digested neither by herbivorous
animals nor by the anaerobic bacteria in their guts) and partly of a large
number of bacteria. Both the lignin and the dung bacteria serve as food for
the soil bacteria. By composting dung, we unnecessarily rob the soil
micro-organisms of nutrition.
Yours
A.D.Karve