[Terrapreta] Greetings

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Apr 19 09:16:48 CDT 2007

Dear AD

Wow!! With your different approach to Problem Solving, it is easy to see
why you win Ashden Awards!!

I an an ignorant amateur gardener, amazed by Mother Nature. I started
off as a great fan of "Chemical Agriculture", as promoted by the
multi-national fertilizer companies. Then I swung over to "Feed the
Soil, and it will feed the Plant." One of the key beliefs in so-called
"Organic Agriculture" is that one must compost the organic additions
before adding to the soil, because if the "raw" organic material
composts in place, it will rob Nitrogen from the plants.

On the other hand, composting "in place" does end up with more "in place
energy availability". The first question is: Is this potential energy
available to the plant, or does it simply get consumed by the "in-place
composting bacteria", with no direct benefit to the plant?

The next question is: It there any way to prevent the "in-place
composting process" from temporarily depleting the Nitrogen that would
otherwise have been available for plant growth?

One obvious solution to the Nitrogen Availability problem might be to
ensure the raw materials had adequate Nitrogen to permit "self
composting" ingredients to compost in-place, without the need for
temporarily robbing Nitrogen from the plant. However, all that this
might accomplish would be a "self fueled fire". The ingredients would
have no need to interact with the Soil, and rob its nitrogen.

On the other hand, your "Sugar Fertilizer" procedure seems to work
wonderfully, and no Nitrogen is added to the Soil... only energy for the
plants.

Is it perhaps a case of "too much of a good thing is a bad thing?" One
can see that too much cellulostic plant material with a high C/N ratio
added to the soil could possibly deplete N from plants, but if a smaller
amount was added, there might not be enough cellulose to deplete
existing soil N to retard plant growth over the short term.

So we seem to get back to the first question: Could you please explain
how the release of energy from "in-place composting" is more beneficial
to the "Soil Food Web" than would be the addition of the same material
that was composted externally?

Thanks!!

Kevin Chisholm