[Terrapreta] Soils, sugars and nutrient elements-response

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Apr 19 20:08:17 CDT 2007

Dear Janice

Janice Thies wrote:
> Dear Kevin,
>
> I can address some of these questions for you and clarify a few
> misconceptions.
>
> First, plants do not gain their energy from the soil.  They
> photosynthesize, meaning they use energy from the sun to make reduced
> carbon compounds (such as sugars) necessary for growth, development,
> reproduction and metabolism from carbon dioxide.  This does not mean
> that they do not respire, they do.  They use the organic C compounds
> (sugars) they produce via photosynthesis to generate cellular energy for
> other metabolic processes.  So, where you comment that the plants are
> getting energy by feeding sugar to the soil - this is not the case at all.

Sorry... this was sloppiness on my part... Dr. Karve's sugar method is
clearly intended to "feed the soil", rather than feeding the plant.

> Instead, what is likely happening is that soil heterotrophic organisms
> (decomposers) are using the sugars themselves for energy.  Where there
> is abundant energy (carbon compounds, such as sugars) and abundant
> mineral nutrients (such as N, P, K, Mg, S, etc), the mineral nutrient
> elements will increase in concentration in the soil solution as they are
> in excess of the cellular needs of the microbes.  Hence, more of these
> nutrients are available for plant uptake (because they do take these up
> from the soil solution). Where there is abundant energy and mineral
> nutrient elements are scarce, then they will likely be "immobilized" in
> microbial biomass and NOT available to plants.  This is the explanation
> for the 'robbing N from plants' part of your question.

OK.

> On in place composting, you need to be careful of a few things.  The pH
> of the materials incoming, their C:N ratio, salt concentrations and how
> much of a good thing there is come to mind immediately.

With "natural" materials, such as agricultural waste, food waste, etc,
is there any concern for pH? What are some examples of situations where
pH would be a significant concern? When you refer to "salt", do you mean
the equivalent to ocean spray, or perhaps some other salt source?

  One hallmark of
> composting is the thermogenic stage, where the pile heats up.  This can
> help begin the decomposition of more recalcitrant materials, but can -
> if happening in place - burn your plants literally.

I can see heating as a concern, when teh compost bed is rich, well
balanced with C/N, and well aerated. Is overheating a problem with
composting in place, where aeration is likely to be inferior, and teh
rate oc composting slower?

  If urea is present
> in high amounts, this can cause another kind of leaf 'burning' to take
> place.  If the pH of the material is too high, N may be lost an ammonia
> to the atmosphere, if the pH is too low, plant roots will be very
> unhappy.

If manures and greens are used as the source of Nitrogen, rather than
synthetic Nitrogen sources, are tehse concerns still valid?

  If the C content is very high, then N will be immobilized, if
> it is very low, then it is likely to be very actively degraded and
> localized heating can be expected.  Salts can also be a problem if the
> materials are not mixed to dilute them with the surface soil or other
> organic materials that are low in salt content.  So, know your materials
> is the best bet.  Understand how they will behave as they decompose in
> place and be sure that you do not inadvertently harm the system while
> trying to preserve the nutrient content to feed the soil, rather than be
> lost to the atmosphere.

OK...

Del...

>> On the other hand, composting "in place" does end up with more "in
>> place energy availability". The first question is: Is this potential
>> energy available to the plant, or does it simply get consumed by the
>> "in-place
>> composting bacteria", with no direct benefit to the plant?

>the latter
>>
>> The next question is: It there any way to prevent the "in-place
>> composting process" from temporarily depleting the Nitrogen that would
>> otherwise have been available for plant growth?

> yes, by keeping the
>> C:N ratio overall not too much higher than 20:1, which is the
>> theoretical tipping point between N immobilization and N mineralization.

OK!! This would seem to be why Dr. Karve's "sugar feed" works... a
relatively small anount of relatively available carbohydrate stimulates
the soil bacteria, and there is not enough to tie up nutrients.

>> One obvious solution to the Nitrogen Availability problem might be to
>> ensure the raw materials had adequate Nitrogen to permit "self
>> composting" ingredients to compost in-place, without the need for
>> temporarily robbing Nitrogen from the plant.  Indeed  However, all
>> that this might accomplish would be a "self fueled fire". The
>> ingredients would have no need to interact with the Soil, and rob its
>> nitrogen.

> Not sure what you mean here

Dr. Karve suggests there is a significant benefit to "composting in
place", in contrast to composting the feeds externally, and adding the
compost. If there was a "perfect mixture of materials for composting,
there should be no addition to, or draw from, the soil during the
composting process. What I am missing is an insight into why composting
in place is an advantage.

>> On the other hand, your "Sugar Fertilizer" procedure seems to work
>> wonderfully, and no Nitrogen is added to the Soil... only energy for
>> the plants.

> This is not energy for the plants as explained above

Poor explanation on my part... what I meant to suggest was that Dr.
Karve's sugar process adds a very small amount of carbohydrate, not
enough to tie up sufficient Nitrogen to stress teh plants.

>> Is it perhaps a case of "too much of a good thing is a bad thing?" One
>> can see that too much cellulostic plant material with a high C/N ratio
>> added to the soil could possibly deplete N from plants, but if a smaller
>> amount was added, there might not be enough cellulose to deplete
>> existing soil N to retard plant growth over the short term.

> Indeed
>>
>> So we seem to get back to the first question: Could you please explain
>> how the release of energy from "in-place composting" is more
>> beneficial to the "Soil Food Web" than would be the addition of the
>> same material
>> that was composted externally?

> The answer lies in doing 'in place
> composting' correctly, aiming to not lose your N (and S) to the
> atmosphere, but keeping it in organic forms, such as living microbial
> biomass that is recycled on a short time scale.
>
> Hope this helps.

I am still missing something. I still cannot see why composting "in
place" would offer any advantage over external composting, assuming
there was a good mix of ingredients to be composted.
> Janice

Thanks again!

Kevin