[Terrapreta] Soils, sugars and nutrient elements-response

Janice Thies jet25 at cornell.edu
Thu Apr 19 17:17:11 CDT 2007

Dear Kevin,

I can address some of these questions for you and clarify a few misconceptions.

First, plants do not gain their energy from the soil.  They
photosynthesize, meaning they use energy from the sun to make reduced
carbon compounds (such as sugars) necessary for growth, development,
reproduction and metabolism from carbon dioxide.  This does not mean
that they do not respire, they do.  They use the organic C compounds
(sugars) they produce via photosynthesis to generate cellular energy
for other metabolic processes.  So, where you comment that the plants
are getting energy by feeding sugar to the soil - this is not the case at all.

Instead, what is likely happening is that soil heterotrophic
organisms (decomposers) are using the sugars themselves for
energy.  Where there is abundant energy (carbon compounds, such as
sugars) and abundant mineral nutrients (such as N, P, K, Mg, S, etc),
the mineral nutrient elements will increase in concentration in the
soil solution as they are in excess of the cellular needs of the
microbes.  Hence, more of these nutrients are available for plant
uptake (because they do take these up from the soil solution). Where
there is abundant energy and mineral nutrient elements are scarce,
then they will likely be "immobilized" in microbial biomass and NOT
available to plants.  This is the explanation for the 'robbing N from
plants' part of your question.

On in place composting, you need to be careful of a few things.  The
pH of the materials incoming, their C:N ratio, salt concentrations
and how much of a good thing there is come to mind immediately.  One
hallmark of composting is the thermogenic stage, where the pile heats
up.  This can help begin the decomposition of more recalcitrant
materials, but can - if happening in place - burn your plants
literally.  If urea is present in high amounts, this can cause
another kind of leaf 'burning' to take place.  If the pH of the
material is too high, N may be lost an ammonia to the atmosphere, if
the pH is too low, plant roots will be very unhappy.  If the C
content is very high, then N will be immobilized, if it is very low,
then it is likely to be very actively degraded and localized heating
can be expected.  Salts can also be a problem if the materials are
not mixed to dilute them with the surface soil or other organic
materials that are low in salt content.  So, know your materials is
the best bet.  Understand how they will behave as they decompose in
place and be sure that you do not inadvertently harm the system while
trying to preserve the nutrient content to feed the soil, rather than
be lost to the atmosphere.

At 10:16 AM 4/19/2007, you wrote:
>Dear AD
>
>Wow!! With your different approach to Problem Solving, it is easy to
>see why you win Ashden Awards!!
>
>I an an ignorant amateur gardener, amazed by Mother Nature. I
>started off as a great fan of "Chemical Agriculture", as promoted by
>the multi-national fertilizer companies. Then I swung over to "Feed the
>Soil, and it will feed the Plant." One of the key beliefs in
>so-called "Organic Agriculture" is that one must compost the organic
>additions before adding to the soil, because if the "raw" organic material
>composts in place, it will rob Nitrogen from the plants.
>
>On the other hand, composting "in place" does end up with more "in
>place energy availability". The first question is: Is this potential
>energy available to the plant, or does it simply get consumed by the "in-place
>composting bacteria", with no direct benefit to the plant?  the latter
>
>The next question is: It there any way to prevent the "in-place
>composting process" from temporarily depleting the Nitrogen that
>would otherwise have been available for plant growth? yes, by
>keeping the C:N ratio overall not too much higher than 20:1, which
>is the theoretical tipping point between N immobilization and N mineralization.
>
>One obvious solution to the Nitrogen Availability problem might be
>to ensure the raw materials had adequate Nitrogen to permit "self
>composting" ingredients to compost in-place, without the need for
>temporarily robbing Nitrogen from the plant.  Indeed  However, all
>that this might accomplish would be a "self fueled fire". The
>ingredients would have no need to interact with the Soil, and rob
>its nitrogen.  Not sure what you mean here
>
>On the other hand, your "Sugar Fertilizer" procedure seems to work
>wonderfully, and no Nitrogen is added to the Soil... only energy for
>the plants.  This is not energy for the plants as explained above
>
>Is it perhaps a case of "too much of a good thing is a bad thing?"
>One can see that too much cellulostic plant material with a high C/N
>ratio added to the soil could possibly deplete N from plants, but if a smaller
>amount was added, there might not be enough cellulose to deplete
>existing soil N to retard plant growth over the short term.  Indeed
>
>So we seem to get back to the first question: Could you please
>explain how the release of energy from "in-place composting" is more
>beneficial to the "Soil Food Web" than would be the addition of the
>same material
>that was composted externally?  The answer lies in doing 'in place
>composting' correctly, aiming to not lose your N (and S) to the
>atmosphere, but keeping it in organic forms, such as living
>microbial biomass that is recycled on a short time scale.

Hope this helps.

Janice

>Thanks!!
>
>Kevin Chisholm
>
>adkarve wrote:
> > Dear Juergen,
> > Do not apply compost to the soil.  On the one hand, agronomists tell us to
> > apply organic matter to the soil in order to feed  the soil
> micro-organisms,
> > but on the other hand, they ask us to compost the biomass before
> applying it
> > to the soil. The nutritional value of the biomass is lost in the process of
> > composting. Also, while recommending the dose of compost to be applied,
> > agronomists calculate it according to the N.P and K content of the compost
> > and not according to the nutritional calories in the compost. We found in
> > our experiments that non-composted green leaves, applied at the rate of 125
> > kg per ha, once every 2 to 3 months, gives as high yield from crops as
> > application of recommended doses of chemical fertilizers.  Even in the case
> > of dung, we found that relatively small quantities of dung are highly
> > effective, if the dung is applied in the raw and non-composted form.  Dung
> > consists partly of lignin (which can be digested neither by herbivorous
> > animals nor by the anaerobic bacteria in their guts) and partly of a large
> > number of bacteria. Both the lignin and the dung bacteria serve as food for
> > the soil bacteria. By composting dung, we unnecessarily rob the soil
> > micro-organisms of nutrition.
> > Yours
> > A.D.Karve

Janice E. Thies