[Terrapreta] Greetings

adkarve adkarve at pn2.vsnl.net.in
Thu Apr 19 22:21:13 CDT 2007

Dear Kevin,
my contention is that soil micro-organisms degrade soil minerals, because
they themselves need the mineral ions as nutrients. The green plants evolved
a symbiotic relationship with the soil micro-organisms, wherein the green
plants feed the soil micro-organisms with organic matter in the form of
leaves, petals and also through organic matter dissolved in the water of
guttation that is exuded in the night by  the leaves. In any field, even in
fields which do not receive any fertilizer or manure, as in the case of
non-irrigated fields in India, the top 10 cm of the soil is the most fertile
zone of the soil. This is because it harbours by far the largest population
of microorganisms in the soil. This layer is well aerated and provided with
organic matter by the green plants growing in that field. The green plants,
even those growing in deserts, have a network of roots that penetrates the
top soil, in order to get the mineral ions in that layer. Therefore, one
should feed the micro-organisms in this layer, so that they make minerals
available to the green plants. Don't worry about nitrogen. Some of the
micro-organisms fix atmospheric nitrogen, which too becomes available to the
green plants. Some of them are free living, but a large number of them also
have a direct symbiotic relationship with plants. New species of N-fixing
symbionts are being discovered almost every year. When I studied botany, we
were taught only of Azotobacter and Rhizobium. But later organisms were
discovered with names like Frankiella, Azospirillum, Acetobacter,
Beijerinckia, etc. When the organic matter applied to the soil is exhausted,
the free living micro-organisms die and the mineral nutrients in their cells
become available to the green plants. The trick in this type of agriculture
is to apply relatively small quantities of high calorie, non-composted
organic material, at a frequency of about once every 2 months. The 125 kg
green leaves per ha that I recommend, has only 25 kg dry matter, of which
about 15 kg would comprise cellulose and lignin, and about 10 kg would be
proteinous. Green leaves have nitrogen, phosphate, potash, iron and all the
trace elements that the micro-organisms need. They thus multiply rapidly,
when fed with green leaves. There is nothing new in this recommendation.
Green manuring is known to  farmers. But farmers plant the entire area with
a green manuring crop and then plow it into the soil. This is too much
organic matter so that the farmer has to wait for almost a month, before he
can plant the next crop. In nature, the soil microbes never get such huge
quantities of organic matter at a time. Therefore, I recommend only 125 kg
of green leafy matter per ha. It can even be applied to a standing crop,
without causing any depletion of Nitrogen in the soil. This input causes the
micro-organisms to multiply rapidly, and as soon as the organic matter is
finished, the micro-organisms begin to die. The mineral elements in the dead
cells then become available to the green plants.
This method works in the field, provided the field is not water logged,
because the soil micro-organisms are mostly aerobic. The idea is not
acceptable to the science establishment, because there is still no direct
evidence that soil micro-organisms actually degrade soil minerals.
Yours
A.D.Karve