[Terrapreta] Charcoal mix continued

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Apr 20 01:17:40 CDT 2007

Michael,

Christoph Steiner mentioned, on reading the comment about 30% density of charcoal in Terra Preta soil that he thought that number was high (maybe even quite high).  I have never actually measured charcoal content in any soil, let alone Amazon Terra Preta soil.  He has.  I think we should take heed of his first hand experience with the actual Terra Preta soil in the actual places where it was discovered.  By his reference, I would consider it a given that charcoal is not nearly as dense as 30% in any known Terra Preta soils.  I do think Christoph would agree that the charcoal found in some examples of Terra Preta soil exists in quite deep layers (up to 5 feet?) and that it probably was laid down in those areas slowly over quite a long period of time.

I do not believe, either, that density of charcoal alone is a defining issue as to what makes Terra Preta soil a much better plant growing medium than surrounding soils.  I think, rather, that Terra Preta soil is an ecology of soil, a habitat in the soil, that promotes improved health of soil microorganisms.  The improved soil microbiological activity then improves the soil habitat for plants which grow above the soil and root into it.

The significant improvement of food crops grown in Terra Preta soils versus surrounding oxisol native soils in the Amazon rainforest, may also be related to the substantial defiicit that those native soils present for food crops.  Even a normal bloom in a desert would be measured as outstanding one by anyone familiar with what can and does normally grow in a desert.