[Terrapreta] Greetings

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 11:10:31 CDT 2007

Dear
Duane Pendergast
In Australia we try to burn as much forest in winter as possible
(as weather conditions and resources allow).
The aboriginal people of Australia have been doing this for 40-60,000 years.
If the fires are not fierce the trees and under-story plants recover
quickly.
Not a lot of charcoal gets to stay in the soil however.

Fascinated by this No-compost approach
For the first time in years I have access to plenty of organic matter
(seaweed) so have a compost pile that I can put my kitchen peelings into and
cover with weed so the possums don't eat it.
The seaweed seems to be taking an age to break down. I am using some as
mulch as well as grass clippings
Of late I have started to leave pencil thick prunings in my mulch too, as I
figger that nature probably has some bug to eat all sizes of organic matter.
 It makes for fairly bulky mulch. My neighbors who put their green waste
into the council bin are not sure how to take this old guy with his garbage-
bag full of seaweed trotting back from his lake walk every day.
Michael Bailes
Tera preta list moderator !:)