[Terrapreta] Sugar and urine experiments

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Apr 22 20:54:30 CDT 2007

Hi All,

Let's make it an exercise in the "Scientific Method",

Hypothesis: Small amounts of sugar, manure, and urine promote the growth of soil microorganisms, like the ubiquitous "Azotobacter".  This, in turn, promotes the growth of plants which need nitrogen, because "Azotobacter" is a "nitrogen fixer" and lots of those "Azotobacter" can fix lots of nitrogen, for those plants to use.

Discussion: Well, if that bacteria "fixes" nitrogen into the soil, how does that nitrogen get released into water solution, so the plants can take it up into their roots, before it "gases off" into the atmosphere?  We might need a theory about that?  I'm thinking that maybe the "nitrogen fixers" have to die before they will release their chemical compounds into solution in the soil.  I could be wrong about that, but then why are these "Azotobacter" called "nitrogen-FIXERS"?  So, I'm thinking, half alive and half dead "Azobacter" in soil will do the trick?  Lucky for those plants, urea (CON2H4) in urine contains nitrogen already and some one says cow dung (dairy cow dung) contains phosphorus and calcium.  So, let's go with that as our entire fertilization regime.  Pick a plant or plants which grow well in any soil and which do not absolutely require potassium-K, sulfer-S, magnesium-Mg, or any other of the trace nutrients.  I'm not sure any plants like that exist?

Simple experiment: Set up three types of soil pots, six pots total, plant some nitrogen loving plants in it, see how they grow.

The 6 Soil pots and there treatments:

1) Organic matter free, "sterile" sand; put in the seeds.

2) Organic matter free, "sterile" sand; put in 25kg/hectare of sugar (sucrose good enough?) water, 25kg/hectare of cow manure, and 25kg/hectare of cow urine, plants the seeds.

3) Organic matter free, "sterile" sand; put in 25kg/hectare of sugar (sucrose good enough?) water, 25kg/hectare of cow manure, and 25kg/hectare of cow urine, inoculate the soil with one petri dish full of "Azotbacter" which has been incubated for a duration of "one half-life" of "Azotobacter", plant the seeds.

4,5,6) Same three treatments as above, but use your absolute favorite garden soil.

A priori observation: gardening soil usually makes plants grow better than sterile sand.  But, call me a non-believer.  I think that can be tested.
So, I'm going to give this a call before the results are in - Pot #6 (garden soil with 25-25-25 sweet cow excretions) will win in 4 out of 5 repeated similar experiments.

Observations:  Feel free to takes notes and pictures (and don't cheat!)

Carry on.  I will abide by the results of anyone who tries this experiment.  If pot #6, is not the clear winner, then I will inquiry about more specific details of the experiment, try more discussion and analysis of what went on, and perhaps attempt to repeat the outstanding, yet unobvious and miraculous results of pot #3.

I need a break.