[Terrapreta] John Cowan's comments

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Sun Apr 22 22:33:47 CDT 2007

Dear Sean

Sean K. Barry wrote:
> Hi Kevin,

...del...
>> Can you present one palpable reason why microorganisms are
>> inherently incapable of converting the chemical constituents of
>> inorganic minerals into a form which is more readily available to
>> plants? At least one, but just one would be helpful.
>
> I never said that microorganisms cannot do this.

So, all that Dr. Karve is saying is that microorganisms help make soil
constituents more available to the plants, and that it helps to feed
them sugar. You now seem to be in basic agreement with his basic belief.

  I said plants don't
> need inorganic chemicals ion nearly as much as they need organic
> chemical ions (the plant nutrients, N, P, K, S, Ca, Mg, Fe, etc).  I
> contend that soil microorganisms are more important for the function
> they perform in decomposing these plant nutrients from organic matter
> in the soil, rather than for the decomposing of inorganic ions that
> they can perhaps do as well.

Interesting. How does one decompose ions? Please tell us how to
decompose a Calcium Ion.  Please tell us how decomposition of ions is
relevant to plant growth. Please tell us the end products that result
when you decompose a Calcium ion. This should be very interesting!

   Plants and animals who eat plants
> simply are not made up of mostly sand!

You seem to be posing a straw man arguement. Dr. Karve never said this.

   Free silicon ions taken in by
> roots of plants will not make them live.  Life exists as organic
> chemical compounds.  These ORGANIC compounds (by definition!) do not
> contain lots of INORGANIC chemicals.

I would suggest the inorganic chemicals that the plants get from the
soil and inorganic fertilizers are converted to a transportable form by
plant root chemistry or soil life forms, and that in most cases, these
previously inorganic chemicals are in an organic form. Some, such as
highly soluble nitrate and potash fertilizers, may be taken up directly.

> Making an INORGANIC mineral  (crystal, element, or compound, whatever
> ) soluble in soil only means to make it dissolve in water that is in
> the soil.  Soluble does not mean turn it into an ORGANIC chemical
> that will be taken up by the roots of and used by a plant in place of
> an actual ORGANIC chemical that the plant needs to build its ORGANIC
> structures.
>
> Look here ->
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soluble<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soluble>

You are posing a Straw man argument. All he says is that if you feed
sugar to the microorganisms, the result is that the plants grow better.
Dr. Karve's proposal is based on a pragmatic observation, and basically,
all he says is that if you put sugar on the soil, the plants grow
better. You are attempting to make his proposal fit with your present
paradigm.

> This all seems pretty obvious stuff to me, Kevin.  This post of yours
> seems more and more like you are trying to bait me. I'm not going to
> agree that plants can grow well in inorganic mineral rocks alone, if
> someone just adds 25kg of sugar to it every 2 or three months.

OK, either you trust what he says, and go with it, or you provide proof
that what he advocates is wrong. You can ask questions for
clarification, but you can't demand that he provides proof of his
observations, simply because it does not fit with your present
understanding of how things work. First, you should seek to understand
what he is proposing. Then ask questions. You cannot demand answers. You
cannot mis-state his proposal just to prove him wrong.

> Either there is actual addition of the necessary plant nutrients (N,
> P, K, S, etc) being made to those fields, or Dr. Karve cannot
> recognize them for what they are.  Incidently, cow manure and urea
> from cows (piss) do contain the plant nutrients (and in relatively
> high concentrations).  I think that is because cows eat plants and
> not rocks.  These too were being added to the soil, by Dr. Karve's
> own report.

You quote him out of context. Note that he specifically states:
">> Agriculture without using any manure or chemical fertilizers is
 >> practised in non-irrigated areas in peninsular India. The farmers
 >> who depend solely on rainfall, do not use any inputs apart from the
 >> seed and the labour of their own family members and of their own
 >> oxen."
This strikes me as a very clear and definitive statement as to what was
added or not added to the soil. Given that there have been no nutrient
additions, the question is now whether or not Dr. Karve can recognize
cow manure when he sees it. I am sure he can. I am also sure he can
recognize bull manure when he sees it also.

> So, maybe the sugar gave the soil microorganisms the energy they
> needed to dissolve those necessary plant nutrients off those organic
> chemical compounds, which fel out of those living organic cows onto
> the soil?  <- Do you think?

That is not what he is saying.

I don't think you understand what he is saying. Either that, or you are
more interested in an armchair academic debate than expanding your
knowledge about a different growing paradigm.

Dr Karve heads up ARTI, which won an Ashden Award in 2006 and 2002:
http://www.ashdenawards.org/media_summary06_india_arti

Anyone who wins not one, but TWO Ashden Awards has alot of credibility
going for him when he proposes a different growing paradigm. His results
speak for themselves. What is your background?

Kevin