[Terrapreta] Sugar and urine experiments

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Mon Apr 23 01:26:05 CDT 2007

Sean - note that I have only read a few posts in this thread and this
may be out of context.

Well yes, I have been thinking about something along this line
although a little different approach.

The question is how would I determine if a tote of char I just
dumped, pictured below, on the forest under-story, to be aged for 1
year or more with natural leaf litter materials is fixing atmospheric
nitrogen more or less than the adjacent natural soils. ??

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/469278481/in/set-72157594444994347/

The year 2007 marks the 40th year I have left graduate school and I
am a bit rusty on this but I do recall in a soil microbiology class
the professor set up an enrichment culture for nitrifying bacteria
and we monitored progress with a color test. There is a wealth of
literature out there and it might be worth while  to first spend time
reading about the preferred cultural conditions of Azotobacter.

Just did a quick google and came up with this technique for selective
enrichment of Azotobacter and use of these cultures as a inoculum.

http://www.indiaagronet.com/indiaagronet/Manuers_fertilizers/
azotobacter(B).htm

I Do not think I would jump at the project with this information
alone but they do indicate that Azotobacter is grown on nitrogen free
nutrient medium, in the case of this example from pure cultures that
were isolated from soil dilutions on solid ,nitrogen free growing
medium.

Another article which is a classic (1915), describes growing
Azotobacter on various simple and complex carbohydrates and their
rate of nitrate formation on measured amounts of food.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pagerender.fcgi?
artid=1258579&pageindex=1

Back to the heap of charcoal and however Larry and I decide to
configure it.

The easiest approach would be to figure some way to capture the
natural rainwater that percolates through the charcoal heap and
measure the nitrate content. Perhaps with a gardener grade color test
and compare it to a nearby soil profile without charcoal. Over time
if the charcoal offers a superior habitat then the relative amount of
nitrate released from the charcoal heap would be greater or at least
increase over time.

I am thinking I may indeed try something like this but will mull it
over for most of the summer.

The definition of recreational science must include that it is fun
and we should remember to not rush into the work part without first
enjoying the pleasure of contemplation. This terra preta topic and
charcoal in agriculture is holding my interest for now but I am
really wanting to spend time for my retirement years with my first
love in mycology - aquatic fungi. I remember my professor at
University of Michigan Biological Station, an old man at the time, Dr
Fred Sparrow spraying his students with spittle and jumping up and
down with excitement on finding a new species growing on a pollen
grain from the lake he had been doing same for his entire career and
the time my wife Karen was identifying a mushroom for Dr. Alex Smith
using his research keys for a lab quiz and when she told him it was
not in the key he went 'harumph' and the specimen disappeared into
his work pile. Seeking answers to questions is what this is all about.

Rich Haard