[Terrapreta] back on task

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon Apr 23 22:11:56 CDT 2007

Wow, Michael!

What an interesting post you have written.  It has been written that charcoal provides a "habitat" for microorganisms to grow (Danny Day at EPRIDA suggests it in a few papers).  Dr. A.D. Karve suggests that small amounts of sugar promotes the growth of soil microorganisms.  Both suggestions do make some sense.  Maybe this phenomenon is worth testing in some experimental way to support the development of "Terra Preta".  Through our discussion, it is becoming somewhat obvious that charcoal in soil alone is not what makes "Terra Preta".  Perhaps, it is a recognition that support of soil micro-flora is what makes "Terra Preta".  Please consider the possibilities of testing some of your insights in some way with the gardening work which you do.