[Terrapreta] sugar usage

adkarve adkarve at pn2.vsnl.net.in
Mon Apr 23 23:23:14 CDT 2007

Sugar is not harmful to plants. Plants growing under tissue culture are fed
with sugar. But tissue culture is conducted under sterile conditions. Under
natural, field conditions, sugar would be immediately consumed by soil
micro-organisms, and it would not be available to plants. Sugar may prove to
be harmful, if the quantity applied is so high, that it would raise the
osmotic pressure of the soil and make it difficult for plants to absorb
water from the soil. In India, farmers apply to their crops only 10 kg sugar
per ha, along with 10 kg cow dung and 10 litres cow urine, once every three
months. That does not seem to harm the crop plants. In fact many of these
farmers get higher yield than their neighbours who apply chemical
fertilizers.
Yours
A.D.Karve