[Terrapreta] Amount of Charcoal to Start Terra Preta

Randy Black rblack at hillcity.k12.sd.us
Fri Apr 27 13:54:18 CDT 2007

To all,

We had a long discussion on the amount of charcoal to put into soil
awhile back and I got lost on what the consensus was (and also lost what
message it was on). From what I remember someone mentioned that you only
needed 3% to start the Terra Preta process.

What does current thought think? And do we need less in temperate soils
because of the SOM?

Randy Black