[Terrapreta] Amount of Charcoal to Start Terra Preta

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Apr 27 20:41:38 CDT 2007

Hi Randy,

Yes, I believe you recalled the best number we had (3% weight/weight).  I think Christoph Steiner was the person who clarified this for us.  He said that the running guess of up to 30% in the existing Terra Preta was way more than what was found in Brazil.  He also said that 3% was still quite a lot of charcoal per hectare.  I think he was considering charcoal in the top 10-15 cm.  You will have to check with him.  I have the E-MAILS recorded at home.  I will send it to you when I get back.