[Terrapreta] General questions about biochar

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun Aug 12 14:11:19 EDT 2007

Welcome Christelle,

We started the Terra Preta listserv to discuss just the topics you have
raised.

As yet there are no standards specific to bio-char. People working on the
agronomic side use different measures than people on the carbonization
processes. Companies and researchers tend to be advocates for their
processes so you will see some information that is generalized but really
relates to specific processes.

On the Terra Preta website http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/  you will
find quick-links to many of the principal organization involved in terra
preta. You will also find, under the Organizations tab, links to information
and stories from many organizations that are active. Among them you will
find that Cornell, EPRIDA, University of Beyreuth, and EMBRAPA are
prominent. The International Agrichar Initiative held in Australia in April
is an attempt to coordinate activities international.
http://www.iaiconference.org Some organizers and attendees of that
conference are members of this list. Eventually there will be an
organization and list that will evolve from that conference. See the
conference proceedings that are online. There is no central database. As you
look through the links and references on the Terra Preta site you will find
that there are about a dozen publishers that are carrying publications on
biochar.

Africa should be a site with good potential use of biochar. As yet there is
little published information. Cornell ( Johannes Lehmann) has done some work
in Kenya and Zambia.
http://www.css.cornell.edu/faculty/lehmann/biochar/Biochar_projects.htm

We have a list participant in Guinea that has started some trials.

So it is very much evolving.

Kind regards,

Tom Miles

http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org