[Terrapreta] Thanks Larry

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Mon Aug 13 08:41:45 EDT 2007

Tom and TP listers - This will give you and readers some idea what we
are up to at our charcoal research plots. Special recognition for
Larry Williams who stepped up to do plot maintenance during my
medical problems.

Larry

Thank you very much for your work on the plots. If you have any time
at all during light hours it would be nice to spend some time looking
at the plots. i am really glad to see this heavy growth because with
2 harvests of the swiss chard it will pull down soil nutrition.

It might be interesting to flag the swiss chard plots blue, red,
white then set up another time to do a systematic set of plot
photographs

If I bring out a chair I am good to hang out I would be available
friday or before. Not Tuesday.

I am thinking next week or following week to harvest the swiss chard
using crew to systematically cut at surface into  separate totes for
each plot. If we did it say a week from next Saturday or Friday then
we could pass some out to crew and I could set up a pot of hot water
to blanch and freeze greens and stems for winter food. By November we
could most likely get a second cutting.

My plan would be to weigh each tote for yield  have Kay  earlier to
select foliar samples for tissue analysis. This involves washing and
drying.

Maybe combined to save money. I think the foliar test costs 18$ each.

control
charcoal
seaweed + charcoal
fertilizer
fertilizer + charcoal
fertilizer + charcoal + compost
compost
compost + charcoal

This would be 6 samples and could be combined charcoal 1 and  2

I think I could get Kay and Veronica to do this some  early morning.
It will be touchy taking samples since leaves only at a certain
growth stage are used. We need to work out a sampling procedure.

Rich Haard, Fourth Corner Nurseries
Bellingham, Washington