[Terrapreta] Niels Bech's flash pyrolysis

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 15:13:12 EDT 2007

Hi Sean

I am not been fair.  I have been developing the ideas
primarily on my blog;

http://globalwarming-arclein.blogspot.com

But to answer your questions a little more briefly.

A friend of mine was heavily involved in solving the
incineration problem facing a major hospital and
recognized that a shipping container could be used to
efficiently incinerate municipal waste provided you
used a smaller add on chamber that jumped the flue
gases from 600 degrees immediately to 2000 degrees. We
agreed that this configuration combined with cycling
the very hot gases back into the primary chamber could
be used to safely process at a set temperature any
uniform biomass.

This set up will allow tight temperature control for
the farmer and that means maximum yield.  Of course,
it is easy to also fill with bio waste.

I do not know if the process can be successfully
modified to split of an oil fraction from pyrolysis.
I suspect higher temperatures would be needed as well
as some odd equipment.  It may simply not be
worthwhile when the highest and best use of the system
is to produce biochar.

Going from that starting point to understanding how
the Indians produced Biochar is a simple two step
process.  The Indians had to use dirt, and had to
tight pack the Biowaste.

Chopping up wood is a non starter and was very
difficult even with a steel axe.  It is not an option.
 That left field waste that could be pulled.  Yet the
only source of field waste with volume large enough to
do the job on the scale exhibited in the Amazon is
corn.

At that point personal knowledge informed me that the
root ball of corn forms a flat disc like brick which
is ideal for forming the outer wall of a beehive like
stack that would be allow only a small inflow of air.
This is actually perfect for our needs.

And the whole process would require a minimal level of
increased effort by the farm family  who was already
committed to pulling the stalks in preparation for the
next crop.

The next step is to talk someone into setting up a
beehive stack in a corn field to see what the net
efficiency is like.

The incinerator cum biochar technology is drawn from
well known principles and equipment.  Our real
modification is getting it down to the farm in a way
that may be highly economic and practical.

<dnclayton at wildblue.net<mailto:dnclayton at wildblue.net>>

http://www.chec.kt.dtu.dk/Research/<http://www.chec.kt.dtu.dk/Research/>
>   > >
>   >

Experimental%20Facilities%20within%20CHEC/Flash%20Pyrolysis.aspx

http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org<http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/>

http://info.bioenergylists.org<http://info.bioenergylists.org/>

Terrapreta at bioenergylists.org<mailto:Terrapreta at bioenergylists.org>

http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545433<http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545433>